Charles Bridge – Czech Republic
Charles Bridge is a stone Gothic bridge that crosses the Vltava River in Prague, Czech Republic. It is one of the most famous bridges in the world. This bridge is built of sandstone blocks. It measures 516 meters in length, 9.5 meters in width, 13 meters in height and is standing on 15 pillars. It is decorated by a continuous alley of 30 statues and statuaries. Most of them are built in baroque-style.
Quick Facts: –
- Before the Charles Bridge, there was a wooden bridge which collapsed in 1157 and after that the 21-arch stone Judith Bridge which also collapsed in 1342 after a flood.
- Charles Bridge was originally named as Stone Bridge, it was the only one in Prague at that time.
- This bridge got its current name during early 19th century saluting Emperor Charles IV.
- The construction of the bridge began in 1357 under the King Charles IV and was completed in early 15th
- It used to serve as a place of execution or of public chastisement for criminals who were dipped into the river in wicker baskets.
- In 1784, during a heavy flood five pillars were severely damaged although the arches did not break.
- A major repairing operation of Charles Bridge took place between 1965 and 1978.
- The numerical palindrome 135797531 is carved on to the Old Town Bridge Tower.
- The first monument to be erected on the bridge was the gilded bronze crucifix Statuary of St. Cross with Calvary dating back to 1657.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Charles Bridge Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Jan 2021. Web. 15 Jan 2021. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/charles-bridge/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2021). Fun Charles Bridge Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/charles-bridge/
We've recently added
- Fingerprint Identification Experiment
- Forensic Science
- Stem Cells
- Stem Cell Worksheet
- Buffalo – Part of the Bovidae Family
- Buffalo Differences Worksheet
- Draw the Buffalo Worksheet
- Who invented it?
- Famous American Inventors (Top ten and their Inventions)
- Vaccines and Antibodies
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
Sponsored Links :