Cheetah Fun Facts
The cheetah is the fastest land animal in the entire world. It can reach a maximum speed of approximately 113 kmph. Their scientific name is Acinonyx Jubatus. They have slender bodies with thin legs and a long tail. They are built for speed. Cheetah cannot climb trees and have a poor night vision. They have amazing eyesight during the day and can spot their prey from 5 km away. They are carnivores and generally feed on smaller antelopes like steenbok, duiker, gazelles, hares etc. Female cheetahs have a gestation period of around 3 months and the litter size is 2-4 cubs. They mate throughout the year and do not have any specific breeding season.
Quick Facts: –
- Cheetahs are the only big cat that cannot roar. They purr if they are happy and let out a chirping noise when feel threatened.
- Most of the people confuse cheetahs with leopards but a cheetah has more round spots as compared to leopards
- They have black lines running from their eyes to their mouths called tears.
- Lions and hyenas are most common predators of cheetahs.
- Cheetah can accelerate from 0 to 96 kmph in just three seconds.
- An average adult can weigh up to 130-140 pounds.
- There are total 36 different species of them existing in the world.
- Their muscular and flat shaped tail is essential in their fast running as it balances them and allows fast and sudden turns.
- Female cheetahs are solitary creatures while males live in small groups composed of brothers only.
- Average lifespan of a cheetah is 12-13 years.
- They only need to drink water once in three-four days.
- Their spotted coat blends well with the tall, dry grass of the plains. It makes them hard to be seen.