Chihuahua is the world’s smallest dog breed with an average weight ranging between 2 to 8 pounds and average height ranging between 6 to 9 inches. They belong to the toy group of dog breeds. These dogs got their name from the largest state in Mexico, also called Chihuahua.
They have an average life expectancy of 14 to 16 years. They come in more than 30 different colors and varieties. Completely white is the rarest of all the colors. They are generally bred to be a companion to humans.
Quick Facts: –
- Chihuahua is a descendant of a breed called the Techichi which was kept by the Toltec civilization.
- They are known by several other names including the Arizona Dog and the Texas Dog.
- These dogs have the world’s largest brain in size relative to their overall body size.
- The Chihuahua Club of America was founded in 1923.
- Chihuahua puppies have a soft spot on their heads called a “Molera”.
- Generally this spot closes up after a year of their birth but in some cases, it remains for their entire life.
- These puppies are born with floppy ears that will start standing erect when they are about 6 months old.
- They are certainly not big eaters, they only need about a half of cup of food for the entire day.
- Despite their small size, they are known to be aggressive and defensive.
- Chihuahuas made their first ever appearance in an artwork in 300 BCE.
- Female individuals shed more hair as compared to the males.
- Their place of origin is still not clear. They are believed to have European or Asian origins.
- A good healthy and well looked after Chihuahua can live up to 20 years. Although 12 to 15 years would be more the average lifespan.
- Although they are a tiny dog always remember that all dog breeds need regular exercise no matter how small or large.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts about Chihuahua ." Easy Science for Kids, May 2019. Web. 25 May 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/chihuahua-facts/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Fun Facts about Chihuahua. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/chihuahua-facts/
We've recently added
Sponsored Links :