Chipmunk Facts Video for Kids
Chipmunks are rodents that belong to the Sciuridae family. They are classed as mammals. There are more than 20 different species of chipmunks. They are most active early in the morning and then again late in the afternoon. They are related to squirrels. They have reddish brown fur over most of the body and white fur on their stomach. Male chipmunks are known as Bucks, females are known as does and babies are known as pups or kittens. Scientific name for chipmunks is Tamius Striatus. They live in underground burrows which can be very complex with multiple entrances. The Least chipmunk is the smallest species of chipmunks.
Quick Facts: –
- Average lifespan of a chipmunk in the wild is 2-3 years.
- All species of chipmunks except the Siberian Chipmunk are native to North America.
- Chipmunks are omnivores. They feed on various types of foods that are found mostly on the ground.
- They have five toes on their front paws and four toes on their back paws.
- They have large cheek pouches that allow them to transport their food. Their cheeks can expand three times of their size.
- Chipmunks have a gestation period of around 30 days and give birth to 2-8 pups at a time.
- Baby chipmunks are sized like a bumblebee at the time of birth.
- They are excellent tree climbers and swimmers.
- Chipmunks are really great escape artists.
- Their way of storing food in their burrows is often referred as ‘larder hoarding’ or ‘scatter hoarding’.
- A group of chipmunks is generally known as scurry.
- They are not social animals and prefer to live alone.
- Their main predators are snakes, raccoons, coyotes, owls etc.
- They use a variety of chirping noises to communicate with each other.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts for Kids about Chipmunks ." Easy Science for Kids, Jan 2020. Web. 19 Jan 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/chipmunk-facts-video-for-kids/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Fun Facts for Kids about Chipmunks. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/chipmunk-facts-video-for-kids/
Sponsored Links :