Squirrels – African, Indian and Flying
Whether you live in the country or in a downtown apartment, you probably have squirrels living near you. Squirrels can live almost anywhere. There are 200 species of squirrels worldwide. They live in almost every country but Australia.
Tree squirrels build nests or live in holes in trees. They scamper to the ground to look for nuts or seeds. They also eat fruit and even eggs or baby birds. Ground squirrels live in burrows under the ground. Sometimes they hibernate.
Fun Facts about Squirrels for Kids
- The smallest squirrel is the African pygmy squirrel. It is only 5 inches long, including its tail.
- The largest squirrel is the Indian giant squirrel, which grows 3 feet long. That’s as big as your little brother!
- Squirrels’ sharp teeth never stop growing.
- Flying squirrels have a flap of skin between their front and back legs. This skin helps them glide in the air between tree branches.
- Squirrels have litters of three to nine babies. The babies are blind. They stay in a burrow or nest until they are three months old.
- Scamper: Run and jump quickly
- Hibernate: Deep winter sleep
- Burrow: Hole under the ground
- Litter: Group of babies
- Glide: Move gracefully
Learn More All About Squirrels
Watch this amazing video about a squirrel and its nuts:
An investigatory video all about squirrels and how they retrieve their stash of nuts.
Question: Can squirrels be kept as pets?
Answer: Squirrels aren’t kept as pets. They do come up to people at parks for food.
Question: Are squirrels dangerous?
Answer: No, but they are wild animals. They will bite or scratch if frightened. Some carry diseases.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Squirrel Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Jan 2021. Web. 18 Jan 2021. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-squirrels/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2021). Fun Squirrel Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-squirrels/
We've recently added
- Fingerprint Identification Experiment
- Forensic Science
- Stem Cells
- Stem Cell Worksheet
- Buffalo – Part of the Bovidae Family
- Buffalo Differences Worksheet
- Draw the Buffalo Worksheet
- Who invented it?
- Famous American Inventors (Top ten and their Inventions)
- Vaccines and Antibodies
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
Sponsored Links :