Coconut isn’t a fruit, although it’s often used in fruit dishes. It grows in tropical regions on tall palm trees and is a type of nut. Coconut is high in protein and iron. You can buy fresh coconuts in the store, although shredded coconut is more convenient.
- Spanish explorers called this plant coco which means “monkey face.” They thought the dark spots on the fuzzy brown coconuts resembled a monkey’s face.
- Almost one-third of the people on our planet rely on coconuts as a major part of their diet.
- Pacific Islanders revere coconuts, calling the trees “The Tree of Life.” They believe coconuts can cure all diseases.
- Coconut oil is considered one of the healthiest oils.
- Coconuts are considered a type of nut.
- Coconut flesh is high in protein. Coconut water is a light, refreshing drink.
- Coconut milk is often used as a dairy substitute. It is used in Thai food and can even be used to make ice cream.
- Coconut oil is used in cosmetics and medicines.
- Rely: depend
- Thai: from Thailand
Questions and Answers
Question: Is the outside of the coconut edible?
Answer: The outside, called coir, isn’t edible. It’s used for making ropes, brushes, mats, and compost.
Martha Stewart explains how to open and use fresh coconut.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Coconut Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Mar 2019. Web. 22 Mar 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/coconut/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Coconut Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/coconut/
Sponsored Links :