Ever wondered where the term, “cool as a cucumber” came from? Turns out that cucumbers can actually cool the temperature of the blood and reduce swelling when applied to the skin. And that’s not all. Besides tasting delicious in salads, cucumbers can curb bad breath. The compounds in a sliced cucumber can kill the bacteria in your mouth that causes bad breath.
- Cucumbers love warm, slightly moist conditions. They’re originally from tropical regions, after all. They don’t grow well in hot, dry areas.
- Cucumbers are easy to grow in the home garden if you have a sunny spot and a little space. They have a reputation for being bitter, which can be caused by drought. Newer varieties are less prone to this problem. Keep the soil moist and pick them promptly for sweeter flavor.
- Some varieties are yellow and shaped like a lemon. Other varieties are extra-long or tiny.
- Cucumbers are a great source of B vitamins, folic acid, and vitamin C. They’re also 95 percent water.
- Cucumbers are usually eaten fresh or pickled. Pickles are made by processing cucumbers with salt, vinegar, and spices. Some pickles are sour, while others are sweet.
- Cucumbers are members of the cucurbit family. They’re actually fruits (they contain seeds) and they’re related to watermelons, pumpkins, and squash.
- Reputation: what something is known for
- Drought: lack of water
- Prone: likely to experience
Questions and Answers
Question: Is a cucumber skin edible?
Answer: Yes, although sellers often coat the skins in wax so they don’t lose moisture. It’s better to peel these skins than eat the wax. English cucumbers are wrapped in plastic wrap. They haven’t been waxed so you can eat the peel.
Learn some new recipes for cucumbers.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Cucumber Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Aug 2020. Web. 04 Aug 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/cucumber/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Fun Cucumber Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/cucumber/
We've recently added
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
- How To Use Friction to Pick Up Bottle of Rice
- How To Make Popcorn Dance
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Fire Extinguisher
- Power of Bleach
- Comparing Surface Tension of Liquids with Pennies
- Ice Cream Chemistry
- Using Distillation to Purify Water
- Filter Water with Dirt
- Build a Balloon Barometer
- Build Your Very Own Seismograph
Sponsored Links :