All About Soil
Soil is like a cake made from lots of different things. Soil consists of crumbling rock or sand, clay, dead plant and animal remains, fungi and even manure. It also contains lots of tiny creatures, such as earthworms. Earthworms turn the plant and animal material into nutrients. They also dig through the soil, which lightens and loosens it so plants grow better.
Fun Facts About What is in Soil for Kids
- The soil consists of several layers. The top layers of soil are rich in organic matter. These are the layers that are best for growing crops. Underneath are layers of soil that are hard or sandy. Beneath these layers is rock.
- Volcanic soil is very rich because minerals in the volcanic break down in the soil.
- Plants need nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, copper and other elements to grow.
- Fungi: funguses, such as mushrooms
- Manure: animal waste
- Organic: from plants or animals
All About Soil Video for Kids
Watch this awesome What’s in Soil video for kids:
Question: Can humans change the soil?
Answer: When you add compost or manure to your garden, you’re improving the soil’s health. When humans strip away soil or use a lot of pesticides, they may damage the soil.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Soil Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Dec 2018. Web. 10 Dec 2018. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-soil/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2018). Fun Soil Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-soil/
Soil Quiz / Question Paper
We've recently added
- Syria Worksheet and Quiz
- Samoa Worksheet and Quiz
- Neil Armstrong Worksheet and Quiz
- Mount Everest Worksheet and Quiz
- Henry Hudson Worksheet and Quiz
- Guatemala Worksheet and Quiz
- Cleopatra Worksheet and Quiz
- Carl Linnaeus Worksheet and Quiz
- Canada Worksheet and Quiz
- Turtle Worksheet and Quiz
Sponsored Links :