Eritrea sits in northeastern Africa, bordering the Red Sea. Neighboring countries include Ethiopia and Sudan. Like other countries in this part of the world, Eritrea is dry and hot. Growing enough food to feed everyone is difficult.
Eritrea has also suffered many years of war. Britain gained control of it from 1941 to 1952. In 1962, the emperor of Ethiopia decided to conquer it, causing over 32 years of war. Ethiopia wanted control of Eritrea to gain access to the sea. Today, Eritrea is independent, but the two countries are not friendly with one another.
- 5.6 million people live in Eritrea.
- Asmara is the capital of Eritrea.
- The currency used is is the Eritrean nakfa.
- The country has 45,300 square miles of land.
- The major languages include Tigrinya, Tigre, Arabic, and English.
- The major religions include Islam and Christianity.
- The life expectancy in Eritrea is 62 years.
- Neighboring: bordering, sitting next to
- Gain: win, get
- Access: able to reach or use
Visit the BBC to learn more about Eritrea.
Question: What are the major industries in Eritrea?
Answer: Major industries include fishing, raising livestock and crops, such as corn and lentils, and manufacturing clothing.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Eritrea Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Jul 2020. Web. 12 Jul 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/eritrea/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Fun Eritrea Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/eritrea/
We've recently added
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
- How To Use Friction to Pick Up Bottle of Rice
- How To Make Popcorn Dance
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Fire Extinguisher
- Power of Bleach
- Comparing Surface Tension of Liquids with Pennies
- Ice Cream Chemistry
- Using Distillation to Purify Water
- Filter Water with Dirt
- Build a Balloon Barometer
- Build Your Very Own Seismograph
Sponsored Links :