Facts About Polar Bears for Kids Video
The polar bear is the world’s largest land predator. They spend most of their lives on the sea ice of the Arctic Ocean. They are adapted to survive in one of the harshest environments on our planet. It is the largest species of bear as well. It is believed that this species evolved from a common brown bear ancestor approximately 200,000 years ago. These bears may appear white in color but their fur is transparent with a hollow core. It reflects light and this is the reason for its white appearance. Adults are incredible swimmers and can swim for several hours to get one piece of ice to another. Polar bears have black skin underneath the white fur.
Quick Facts: –
- These carnivorous creatures mostly feed upon seals. They are not quick enough to reliably catch seals in open water.
- They have wide front paws and slightly webbed toes that help them swim easily.
- Polar bears have a thick layer of body fat and a water repellent coat that insulates them from the cold air and water.
- They have a strong sense of smell and can smell a seal 20 miles away.
- An adult polar bear can measure over 2.5 meters in length and 680 kg in weight.
- They have a special liver that helps them to process all the fat they get from the seal they eat.
- The Polar bear has only one predator which is us, human beings. Man made pollution is also one of the causes of their death.
- Their fat acts as a nutritional reserve and energy storage system when they are not able to find food properly.
- They have stiff fur on the sole of each foot. It keeps them from slipping on ice.
- Their average life span in the wild is approximately 25 years.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " All Fun Facts about Polar Bear ." Easy Science for Kids, Apr 2021. Web. 16 Apr 2021. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/facts-about-polar-bears-for-kids-video/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2021). All Fun Facts about Polar Bear. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/facts-about-polar-bears-for-kids-video/
We've recently added
- Amino Acids
- All About Volcanology
- All About Meteorology
- All About Cognitive Science
- All About Entomology
- All About Linguistics
- Chemical Formulas and Equations Worksheet
- Chemical Bonding Worksheet
- Chemical Bonding
- All About Chemical Formulas and Chemical Equations
- Chromatography Wordsearch
Sponsored Links :