Facts About Rabbits for Kids Video
Rabbits are originated from Spain and south-west France. These mammals are from lagomorphs family. They are social animals and prefer to live in groups called herds. All rabbits live in underground burrows except cottontail rabbits. They live in above ground nests. A group of these burrows is called warren. Rabbits are different from hares. Hares live in above ground nests like cottontail rabbit. They are usually bigger than rabbits with longer ears and longer hind legs.
Quick facts about rabbits: –
- The world’s largest rabbit named ‘Darius’ weighs approximately 50 pounds and is currently 4 feet 3 inches in height.
- In the wild, some female rabbits can produce about eight litters of bunnies per year.
- The largest litter of bunnies ever reported consisted of 24 kits.
- Rabbits are natural runners and can reach speed of up to 30 to 40 mph.
- Pet rabbits that people raise do not open their eyes until they reach about 15 days of age.
- Baby pet rabbits are actually born with closed eyes and fur-less.
- Rabbits have 28 teeth.
- The world’s oldest rabbit lived to for 16 years.
- The average lifespan of a pet rabbit is around 5 to 8 years. They live longer than the rabbits which are used for production and those living in wild.
- With the proper guidance rabbits can be trained to live indoors perfectly.
- Their average heart rate ranges between 130-325 beats per minute.
- A rabbit can jump up to 36 inches or higher.
- Rabbits can have multiple litters each year, giving birth to up to nine babies each time.
- Sometimes they are killed for their fur.
- They get grumpy if you intrude on their space.
- Rabbit whiskers equally wide to their body so they can feel their way in tunnels and do not get stuck.
- They have a black spot in front of their nose but can see in all other directions even without turning their head.
- They shed their hair like crazy.
- They can sleep with their eyes open.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun facts about rabbits ." Easy Science for Kids, Jul 2019. Web. 18 Jul 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/facts-about-rabbits-for-kids-video/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Fun facts about rabbits. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/facts-about-rabbits-for-kids-video/
Sponsored Links :