Fish Facts for Kids Video
Fish Fun Facts
Fishes are cold blooded like reptiles and amphibians as they cannot control their body temperature. They are vertebrate animals. Fishes make half of all known vertebrate species. They have a spinal cord surrounded by bone or cartilage. There are more than 30,000 known species of fish. Approximately 1000 of them are threatened by extinction. They have gills that are used to extract oxygen from the water around them. Starfish, jellyfish and crayfish have the word ‘fish’ in their name but they are not actually fish.
Quick Facts: –
- Some fishes can taste without even opening their mouth as they have taste buds all over their body.
- Herring Fishes communicate with each other through farts.
- A Goldfish cannot close its eyes as it has no eyelids.
- The Great white Shark is the largest fish that can reach up to 50 feet in length.
- The Philippine goby is the smallest fish that can grow up to 1/3 of an inch at maximum.
- A person who studies about fishes is known as ichthyologist.
- Fishes have been on earth for more than 500 million years.
- Starfish don’t have brains but they have special cells on their skin that gather information about their surroundings.
- Anglerfish melt into each other while mating and share their bodies forever.
- The goliath tiger fish eats small crocodiles.
- The only known fully warm blooded fish is the Opah.
- The toxin in a puffer fish is 1000 times deadlier than cyanide and enough to kill 30 people.
- Jellyfish consume 48% less oxygen than any other swimming animal that makes them the ocean’s most efficient swimmers.
- Some piranhas are cannibals that mean they feed on flesh of its own species.
- A goldfish can lose its colour if kept in a dark room.
- Approximately 2,200 fish species have been scientifically classified in the Amazon region.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts for Kids about Fish ." Easy Science for Kids, Mar 2019. Web. 19 Mar 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/fish-facts-for-kids-video/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Fun Facts for Kids about Fish. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/fish-facts-for-kids-video/
Sponsored Links :