Florence Nightingale was an inspirational English nurse. She was born on May 12, 1820 in Florence, Italy. Nightingale was named after her birthplace. She was brought up in Derbyshire and Hampshire. She improved the sanitary conditions at a British base hospital during the Crimean War along with her team of other nurses.
She was known for her night rounds to aid the wounded. Her efforts helped to reduce the death count. She also wrote books about how to be a good nurse. Florence Nightingale is considered the founder of modern day nursing. She set up the Nightingale Training School at St. Thomas’ Hospital in London in 1860.
Fast Facts: –
- She went to a nursing school in Germany.
- She was nicknamed as ‘The Lady with the Lamp’ during the Crimean War.
- Her family didn’t want her to become a nurse but they eventually said yes after they saw her interest.
- She received the Royal Red Cross by Queen Victoria in 1883 for all her hard work as a military nurse.
- Her birthday May 12 is known as International Chronic Fatigue Syndrome awareness day.
- Her father taught her a variety of subjects ranging from science and mathematics to history, philosophy and different languages.
- She turned down multiple marriage proposals and refused to marry.
- Florence Nightingale also wrote letters home on behalf of the dead or dying soldiers.
- She also worked with the British Government to enact far reaching sanitation laws.
- Florence was a true linguistic as she was fluent in English, French, German and Italian.
- She was the first woman to be awarded the Order of Merit.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts for Kids about Florence Nightingale ." Easy Science for Kids, Apr 2020. Web. 08 Apr 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/florence-nightingale/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Fun Facts for Kids about Florence Nightingale. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/florence-nightingale/
We've recently added
- Iodine Clock Reaction
- Make Homemade Fizzy Lemonade
- Make Rock Candy
- Ocean Acidification Experiment
- How To Build a Popsicle Stick Catapult
- How To Make Floating Paper Clips
- Animal Blubber Simulation
- How To Make an Edible Water Bottle!
- Hourglass Dolphin
- Atlantic Spotted Dolphin
- Hector’s Dolphin
- Dusky Dolphin
Sponsored Links :