Football is one of the most popular sports which is played throughout the world. It was invented in China nearly 476 B.C. Canadians and Americans call it soccer. It is the most played and most watched sport on the planet. Arthur Wharton is the first black professional footballer in the world who reportedly debuted in the 1800s.
The English Sheffield Football Club was the world’s first football club which was founded in 1857. Dino Zoff from Italy won the World Cup at the age of 40 years which made him the oldest player to do so. There are maximum 11 players on a football starting team, substitutes can come, generally a maximum of three subs but in friendly games it can be more.
Quick Facts: –
- Neymar who plays for Paris Saint-Germain is the most expensive football player in the world costing a whopping €222 million or $262 dollars.
- Soccer players run an average of 9.65 kilometers during a match.
- The first ever live coverage of a game was shown in the year 1937 on the BBC channel in England between Arsenal and the Arsenal reserves. The game was hosted in Highbury Stadium in London.
- Lee Todd holds the record for receiving the fastest red card in the history of professional football. Lee was sent off after just two seconds.
- Cristiano Ronaldo became the first player who scored a goal in every single minute of the game.Now not in a single game but throughout his career.
- The first ever football game was played in 1869 between McGill University and Yale University.
- The largest football tournament in the world was the 1999 League 7-a-side competition in Bangkok. More than 35,000 players played in this tournament.
- The maximum number of goals scored by a single player in a professional game is 16. Stephen Stanis of France scored these goals.
- The very first game of basketball is widely speculated to have been played with a football.
- There are a total of 27 professional football clubs in the world that have a Beatles song as their nickname.
- The first FIFA World Cup was held in 1930 in Uruguay. The hosts Uruguay beat Argentina in the final 4 – 2. Over 68,000 people where at the stadium.
- France are the current world cup holders, they won the 2018 world cup final hosted in Russia. They defeated Croatia 4 – 2. It’s the second time France won the world cup. They also won it back in 1998.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Amazing Football Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Jul 2020. Web. 15 Jul 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/football-facts/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Amazing Football Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/football-facts/
We've recently added
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
- How To Use Friction to Pick Up Bottle of Rice
- How To Make Popcorn Dance
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Fire Extinguisher
- Power of Bleach
- Comparing Surface Tension of Liquids with Pennies
- Ice Cream Chemistry
- Using Distillation to Purify Water
- Filter Water with Dirt
- Build a Balloon Barometer
- Build Your Very Own Seismograph
Sponsored Links :