Geothermal Energy Facts
The word geothermal has been derived from Greek words where Geo means earth and Thermos means heat. Geothermal energy is made inside the earth. It is a clean and affordable source of alternative energy. It does not run out. It can be renewed time to time. This energy is continuously produced under the earth’s surface.
Facts you didn’t know: –
- Geothermal energy is produced under the earth’s surface from the heat generated by rocks.
- This energy is being used in UK since Roman times.
- Geothermal energy makes a minimal impact on our environment.
- Geothermal resources can be used in other applications such as space and district heating, spa, aquaculture etc.
- Areas with active volcanoes and earthquakes are the most suitable places to extract geothermal energy.
- There are three types of geothermal plant to extract energy from under the earth.
- Geothermal is one of the greatest sources of energy available on the planet.
- Across the USA, today there are more than 40 geothermal plants.
- Geothermal energy uses 3 basic types of geothermal power plants like: – Dry Steam, Flash Steam and Binary power plant.
- It has very low emissions of greenhouse gases to about 3% of the carbon dioxide emissions of a fossil power station.
- About 18% of total electricity of Iceland is being produced by geothermal energy.
- This energy does not depend on the Sun like other renewable sources of energy.
- Geothermal heat pumps are used to take the energy out of the earth’s surface.
- Geothermal energy is created in over 25 countries.