Gulf of California
The Gulf of California is located between the Mexican mainland and the Baja California Peninsula. The length of the gulf is about 750 miles and its average width is 95 miles. It is also known as the Sea of Cortez. The entire gulf covers an area of 62,000 square miles.
It supports an extraordinary diversity of marine life featuring many species of sharks, reef fish, marine turtles etc. It is one of the most important fishery regions of Mexico and also important for sport fishing.
Quick Facts: –
- There are a total of 37 major islands in the Gulf of California. The two largest ones are Isla Angel de la Guarda and Tiburon Island.
- Scientists believe that most of these islands in the gulf are formed due to some kind of volcanic activity.
- These waters are also an important breeding region for Blue Whale along with other whale species including Orca, Fin, Humpback etc.
- It is also home to the Vaquita which is the smallest porpoise in the world and also one of the most endangered species.
- This gulf has a coastline stretching approximately 2,500 miles. It runs along Sonora, Baja California Sur, Baja California and Sinaloa.
- The storms that usually hit the Gulf of California are given a common name ‘Chubasco’ (strong winds along with thunder and lightening).
- For the extreme marine diversity of the gulf, it is also described as the ‘world’s aquarium’.
- The gulf is home to a wide range of different endemic creatures as well as many migratory species.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Facts for Kids about Gulf of California ." Easy Science for Kids, Dec 2018. Web. 11 Dec 2018. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/gulf-of-california/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2018). Facts for Kids about Gulf of California. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/gulf-of-california/
We've recently added
- Syria Worksheet and Quiz
- Samoa Worksheet and Quiz
- Neil Armstrong Worksheet and Quiz
- Mount Everest Worksheet and Quiz
- Henry Hudson Worksheet and Quiz
- Guatemala Worksheet and Quiz
- Cleopatra Worksheet and Quiz
- Carl Linnaeus Worksheet and Quiz
- Canada Worksheet and Quiz
- Turtle Worksheet and Quiz
Sponsored Links :