Important inventions in the field of electricity
Human lives were not as convenient and fun in ancient times as we know it today. Certain inventions played an important role in making all the differences from being medieval to being modern humans. Some important inventions in the field of electricity are listed below with the name of their inventor.
- Benjamin Franklin introduced a theory that lightning is electricity. He was the first person to coin two terms, positive and negative charge.
- James Watt invented the steam engine as he thought that this engine would replace animal power.
- William Thomson, also known as Lord Kelvin invented a temperature scale that was based on the concept of an absolute zero temperature (-273°C).
- Thomas Seebeck is best known for his discovery of the ‘Seebeck Effect’. He also introduced a theory called thermoelectricity.
- Michael Faraday discovered electromagnetic induction. Faraday worked on electric currents. He has the unit of capacitance, farad named in his honor.
- James Maxwell was an influential mathematician who translated Faraday’s theories into mathematical expressions. Maxwell also has the electromagnetic unit of magnetic flux named in his honor.
- Thomas Edison had 1093 patents under his name but he is best known for his invention of the light bulb.
- Nikola Tesla introduced the concept of Alternating Current that was an alternative of the Direct Current which was more costly.
- George Westinghouse invented the air brake system to stop trains and founded the Westinghouse Air Brake Company.
- Alexander Graham Bell is credited with patenting the first practical telephone. He has a unit of sound level ‘bel’ named in his honor.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Electrical Inventions Fun Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, May 2020. Web. 30 May 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/important-inventions-in-the-field-of-electricity/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Electrical Inventions Fun Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/important-inventions-in-the-field-of-electricity/
We've recently added
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
- How To Use Friction to Pick Up Bottle of Rice
- How To Make Popcorn Dance
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Fire Extinguisher
- Power of Bleach
- Comparing Surface Tension of Liquids with Pennies
- Ice Cream Chemistry
- Using Distillation to Purify Water
- Filter Water with Dirt
- Build a Balloon Barometer
- Build Your Very Own Seismograph
Sponsored Links :