Make Homemade Fizzy Lemonade
(Chemistry for ages 5+)
There’s nothing better on a warm spring or summer day than an ice-cold glass of lemonade, except maybe a fizzy lemonade soda! And why not take the opportunity to learn about chemical reactions while you’re making yourself a tasty refreshment. The video above shows us how it’s done, and here’s what you’ll need:
Juicer (highly recommended)
Glass or pitcher
- First, before cutting your lemons, roll them back and forth while applying heavy pressure to make them easier to juice.
- Cut your lemons in half and, using your juicer if you have one, squeeze as much juice out as possible.
- Once you have juiced both of your lemons, pour the juice into your glass or pitcher. Add cold water to the glass. You want about 1-part water to 1-part lemon juice, so in this case, you will probably need about 1 cup of water depending on how much juice you get out of your lemons.
- Add 1 teaspoon of sugar to your lemon juice and water mixture, or adjust the amount of sugar according to your taste.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon of baking soda and watch what happens.
- Finally, add ice to your fizzy lemonade if you would like, and enjoy!
- Adult supervision (Adult supervision at all times please)
The fizzy reaction that occurs and makes your lemonade more soda-like is the result of acids and bases. Lemon juice is a strong acid while baking soda is a strong base. When these chemicals are mixed, they react strongly and release carbon dioxide gas.
Carbon dioxide is actually what makes soda fizzy too, but in this activity, you make the carbon dioxide yourself. Pretty neat and delicious!
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " How To Make Homemade Fizzy Lemonade - Chemistry for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Mar 2021. Web. 01 Mar 2021. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/make-homemade-fizzy-lemonade/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2021). How To Make Homemade Fizzy Lemonade - Chemistry for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/make-homemade-fizzy-lemonade/
We've recently added
Sponsored Links :