Marco Polo was a merchant explorer born in Venice, Italy in 1254. He belonged to a noble family of Venetian merchants. His father Niccolo Polo and uncle Maffeo Polo were jewel merchants and went to china in 1266 to set up a trading business.
Marco Polo was not the first European to travel to Asia but surely one of the first Europeans to describe many of the advanced technologies found in China.
He started his first trip to Asia in 1271 at the age of 17 years. He travelled to the Mongol empire in China with his father and uncle. Their journey took around four years.
Quick Facts: –
- Marco Polo was a major influence on other explorers like Christopher Columbus.
- He stayed in China for 17 years with his father and uncle and worked as envoys for the great Mongol emperor Kublai Khan.
- He introduced Europe to the concept of paper currency and some animals like Chow Chows, musk deer etc.
- He returned to Venice in 1295, after 24 long years.
- There was a conflict going on between Venice and Genoa. Marco Polo joined the Venetian army and he was captured and put in a jail for about 1 years.
- During his imprisonment, he met another prisoner Rustichello da Pisa who was a famous romance writer.
- Polo told his travel stories to this person who wrote all the stories under the name ‘The Travels of Marco Polo’.
- The book was printed in three different languages: – French, Italian and Latin.
- He married Donata Badoer in 1300. They had three daughters together.
- Marco Polo was a Christian.
- He died on January 8, 1324 and was buried in the Church of San Lorenzo in Venice.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts for Kids about Marco Polo ." Easy Science for Kids, May 2019. Web. 27 May 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/marco-polo/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Fun Facts for Kids about Marco Polo. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/marco-polo/
Marco Polo Quiz / Question Paper
We've recently added
Sponsored Links :