Mausoleum at Halicarnassus
The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus was built by Artemisia after her husband Mausolus. It was one of the seven wonders of the ancient world. This massive tomb was built many years ago, between 353 – 350 BC in the city of Halicarnassus.
It was discovered in 1800s by British archaeologist Charles Newton under the directions of the British Museum. Mausolus and Artemisia ruled for 24 long years. Artemisia was also Mausolus’ sister as it was a common practice for rulers to marry their cousins or siblings at that time.
Quick Facts: –
- The city of Halicarnassus is now known as Bodrum, Turkey.
- It was the capital of a small kingdom along the Mediterranean coast of Asia Minor.
- The structure stood approximately 43 meters tall.
- Most of the Mausoleum was made of marble and surrounded by a courtyard.
- The stairway up to the tomb was guarded by stone lines.
- Stone warriors were placed on each corner of the tomb.
- The overall shape of the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus was designed by Greek architects Satyros and Pytheos.
- Much of the structure was shattered by a series of earthquakes.
- Crusaders took over the city in the 13th century. They used many parts of the tomb to construct buildings.
- It was the second longest surviving construction on the list, after the Pyramid of Giza.
- Artemisia died two years after her husband’s death and the tomb was under construction at that time.
- Mausolus descended from the local people so he spoke Greek and admired the Greek way of life and government.
- He also found many cities of Greek design along the coast.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Facts about Mausoleum at Halicarnassus for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Apr 2020. Web. 05 Apr 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/mausoleum-at-halicarnassus/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Facts about Mausoleum at Halicarnassus for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/mausoleum-at-halicarnassus/
We've recently added
Sponsored Links :