Mount Elbrus is an inactive volcano located in the Western Caucasus mountain range. It is the highest mountain in Russia. This mountain has two summits, the east summit measuring 5,621 meters and the West Summit measuring 5,642 meters. It is also among the top ten most prominent peaks in the world.
The first person to climb Mount Elbrus was a local man Killar Khashirov. He made his ascent in 1829. He reached the East Summit. The west summit was first climbed in 1874 by a British expedition led by F. Crauford Grove.
Quick Facts: –
- Mount Elbrus is one of the Seven Summits. This group consists of the highest mountains on each of the seven continents.
- There are a total of 22 glaciers on the mountain covering an area of about 53 square miles. These glaciers feed three rivers including Kuban, Baksan, and Malka.
- Initially this mountain was known as Sobilus. The name has been derived from Latin which means ‘pine cone’.
- Russian adventurer Alexander Abramov drove a Land Rover to the summit of Mount Elbrus in 1997, along with a team of 10 men.
- In 1998 a fire was started by a group of climbers while cooking, and burned down the first hut Priut 11 which was built at 13,650 feet.
- There is a cable car and chairlift on this mountain which was built between 1959 and 1976.
- There are barrel huts on the mountain as well which are located at a height of 3,800 meters.
- Approximately 30 climbers die each year while trying to ascend the mountain. This figure puts the mountain among the deadliest ones.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Facts for Kids about Mount Elbrus ." Easy Science for Kids, Nov 2020. Web. 29 Nov 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/mount-elbrus/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Facts for Kids about Mount Elbrus. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/mount-elbrus/
We've recently added
- Stem Cells
- Stem Cell Worksheet
- Buffalo – Part of the Bovidae Family
- Buffalo Differences Worksheet
- Draw the Buffalo Worksheet
- Who invented it?
- Famous American Inventors (Top ten and their Inventions)
- Vaccines and Antibodies
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
- How To Use Friction to Pick Up Bottle of Rice
- How To Make Popcorn Dance
Sponsored Links :