This volcano has had 68 historic eruptions since 1548. The last major eruption was in 1994, when 66 people were killed. It has been witnessing small eruptions every 2-3 years, bigger ones every 10-15 years, and very large eruptions every 50-60 years.
Quick Facts: –
- Mount Merapi is also known as the Fiery Mountain. Its name has been derived from the old Javanese language and it means ‘the one making fire’.
- This volcano produces more nuee ardentes than any other volcano on Earth because of the collapse of the lava dome at the summit.
- Nuees ardentes are clouds of volcanic gases, ash, and dust, reaching temperatures up to 500 degrees Celsius.
- Mount Merapi is considered sacred by local people. They believe that a supernatural kingdom exists there.
- This stratovolcano has steep slopes and an almost perfect cone shape.
- It is situated above the subduction zone between the Eurasian and Indo-Australian tectonic.
- It was designated as a Decade Volcano because of its violent past and its close proximity to Yogyakarta on the island of Java.
- The country also has the world’s highest density of volcanoes. It is located in the Ring of Fire.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Amazing Mount Merapi Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Jul 2019. Web. 17 Jul 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/mount-merapi/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Amazing Mount Merapi Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/mount-merapi/
Sponsored Links :