Nelson Mandela was the first black President of South Africa and also the first black man to be elected in a fully representative election. He is considered the father of Modern South Africa. He was born on July 18, 1918, in Mvezo, Umtata, South Africa. His birth name was Rolihlahla Mandela.
The name means ‘to pull a branch off a tree’. His father had four wives. He was the youngest son and actually the only son to survive. His father died when he was 12 years old. He attended Fort Hare Missionary College. He also met Oliver Tambo, a good friend of here. Oliver was President of the African National Congress from 1967 to 1991.
Quick Facts: –
- Mandela grew up in a tiny village and was the first member of his family to attend school. Both of his parents were illiterate.
- He rose to the Presidency of the African National Congress (ANC) in 1950 and started leading nonviolent protests against racism.
- His actions landed him in prison for 27 long years.
- He was not removed from the United States terror watch list until 2008.
- Mandela co-authored a book named ‘How Far We Slaves Have Come!’ with Fidel Castro.
- He received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1993 for peacefully destroying the Apartheid regime.
- Nelson Mandela served as the President of South Africa from 1994 to 1999.
- During his lifetime, he received more than 695 different awards.
- He died due to a lung infection on December 5, 2013, at the age of 95 years.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts for Kids about Nelson Mandela ." Easy Science for Kids, Jan 2021. Web. 26 Jan 2021. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/nelson-mandela/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2021). Fun Facts for Kids about Nelson Mandela. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/nelson-mandela/
We've recently added
- Microbiology Worksheet
- All About Microbiology
- Fingerprint Identification Experiment
- Forensic Science
- Stem Cells
- Stem Cell Worksheet
- Buffalo – Part of the Bovidae Family
- Buffalo Differences Worksheet
- Draw the Buffalo Worksheet
- Who invented it?
- Famous American Inventors (Top ten and their Inventions)
- Vaccines and Antibodies
Sponsored Links :