An Oarfish is the longest bony fish in the ocean. They can reach a length of over 50 feet. It belongs to the Regalecidae family of fishes. Unlike many bony fishes, they lack scales. Instead they have tubercules and a coat of guanine which is topped with an omate, red dorsal fin.
They are generally found in deep waters and rarely seen on the surface of water. Scientists believe that they are pushed there by storms or strong currents. They are adapted to survive under high pressures. They got this unique name from their long pectoral fins.
Quick Facts: –
- An Oarfish swims holding itself straight up and down in the water column. It is believed that it uses this method to search for food.
- These fishes are not known to be of any commercial value and their meat is reported to be inedible.
- They generally feed upon tiny plankton and have a very small opening to their digestive system.
- They usually have a translucent, scale less skin with a bluish tinge to it.
- Because of its flattened, snake-like body, it has erroneously earned the misnomer of sea serpents.
- Some people claim that oarfish washing ashore is a sign that an earthquake will soon follow.
- When threatened with predators, an oarfish can also amputate the end of its own tail.
- These fishes are hardly dangerous to human beings. Their protrusible mouth is toothless.
- These deep sea creatures normally live at depths of 500-1000ft.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " All Amazing Facts for Kids about Oarfish ." Easy Science for Kids, Dec 2018. Web. 10 Dec 2018. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/oarfish-facts/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2018). All Amazing Facts for Kids about Oarfish. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/oarfish-facts/
We've recently added
- Syria Worksheet and Quiz
- Samoa Worksheet and Quiz
- Neil Armstrong Worksheet and Quiz
- Mount Everest Worksheet and Quiz
- Henry Hudson Worksheet and Quiz
- Guatemala Worksheet and Quiz
- Cleopatra Worksheet and Quiz
- Carl Linnaeus Worksheet and Quiz
- Canada Worksheet and Quiz
- Turtle Worksheet and Quiz
- Saudi Arabia Worksheet and Quiz
- Poland Worksheet and Quiz
Sponsored Links :