People have been growing and eating oats for at least 7,000 years. They were grown in ancient China, as well as ancient Greece. The Greeks were the first people to make them into porridge. They’re still a favorite food today and with good reason: they’re inexpensive, nutritious, and delicious!
- October 28 is National Oatmeal Day.
- The fiber in oatmeal has been found to lower cholesterol. Oatmeal is a good source of antioxidants and some studies suggest it can relieve cold symptoms, such as congestion.
- Oats can reduce the risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and certain cancers. Biotin in oats is good for healthy nails, skin, and hair.
- A bowl of oatmeal for breakfast provides energy and fuel all morning long.
- Oats are healthy because they contain the whole grain. Nothing has been stripped away.
- The three main types of oats include quick oats, rolled oats, and steel cut oats. These oats all have about the same nutrition; they’re just cut and prepared differently. Quick oats take two to three minutes to cook. Rolled oats need about 5 to 10 minutes to cook. Steel-cut oats cook in 20 to 30 minutes.
- Oatmeal is a great filler for meatloaf or turkey burgers. It adds moisture, flavor, and texture.
- Use oatmeal in cookies, bars, and baked goods. Make oat flour by grinding oats in a food processor or blender.
- Oats are one of America’s favorite breakfast foods. More oats grow in Cedar Rapids, Iowa than anyplace else in the country.
- Biotin: a vitamin B nutrient
- Meatloaf: a food made from ground meat, onions, eggs, and oatmeal of bread crumbs
Questions and Answers
Question: Are there any types of oatmeal that aren’t healthy?
Answer: Avoid instant sweetened oatmeal. It’s full of sugar, artificial flavors, and salt. Make oatmeal at home and sweeten it with a little honey or brown sugar. Add dried fruit and chopped nuts.
Watch a video about how to make oatmeal.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Oatmeal Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Oct 2019. Web. 14 Oct 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/oatmeal/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Oatmeal Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/oatmeal/
Sponsored Links :