This video is all about planet Saturn.
All about Saturn
Saturn is the second largest and fifth brightest planet of the solar system but it has the lowest density. It is the sixth planet from the earth. It is the most distant planet which is clearly visible to the human eye. But if telescope are used then some other features such as the planet’s rings can be easily seen.
Galileo Galilei, an Italian astronomer had observed these rings for the first time in 1610. This planet can be called a gas giant because it is made up of Hydrogen, Methane and Helium. It is large enough to hold more than 800 earths.
Fast facts: –
- The rings we see are made of small wedges of ice and rock. These rings are not solid.
- It has a total of 53 moons.
- A year on Saturn is more than 30 years on earth.
- It is also called as ‘the ringed planet’.
- Saturn takes 29.4 earth years to orbit the Sun.
- So far four spacecraft have visited Saturn.
- Saturn has a slightly weaker magnetic field than the magnetic field on earth.
- The rings are huge but thin. They are less than a kilometer in thickness.
- Surface temperature on Saturn is -139°C.
- The axis of the planet is tilted and as it orbits the Sun, we get different views of the rings.
- NASA’s Pioneer 11 was the first to visit Saturn in 1979.
- The planet has a core made up of rock and metal. It is equal to the earth in size.