Plums are beautiful fruits that range in color from yellow to green to pink or deep purple. Their flesh is juicy and sweet, and their small size makes them a good snack fruit.
- Plums might just be one of the most ancient fruits. Their remains have been found in Neolithic caves along with olives and grapes.
- Some plums are meant for cooking. They’re small and tart. The large plums usually available in the grocery store are delicious eaten fresh.
- Plums are ripe when they feel heavy and give slightly when touched. To ripen plums, place them in a brown bag.
- Plums are a good source of vitamin C, vitamin A, and antioxidants.
- Prunes are dried plums. They’re known for being good for digestion.
- Plums are stone fruits. They belong to the rose family and are related to peaches, apricots, and cherries.
- Plums can be made into jam or wine. In Asia, people enjoy pickled plums.
- Neolithic: A period of human development between 10,000 B.C. and 4000 B.C.
- Digestion: the process of turning food into energy and nutrients
- Pickled: a method of preserving food in vinegar, spices, or salt
Questions and Answers
Question: Is it okay to eat plum pits?
Answer: Like other fruits in the rose family, including cherries and peaches, plum pits can be toxic if eaten in large amounts.
Plums are sometimes cooked with meat. Watch this video to learn more.
Watch a video on growing plum trees.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Facts for Kids about Plums ." Easy Science for Kids, Apr 2020. Web. 02 Apr 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/plum/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Facts for Kids about Plums. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/plum/
We've recently added
Sponsored Links :