Population and Managing Climate Change
Another part of managing climate change is thinking about population growth. Currently the world’s population is around 7.8 billion. Researchers think the world’s population will grow to 9.8 billion by 2050. In many parts of the world, people already live in crowded conditions and have trouble getting enough food and water. How will more people share the planet?
- The population rate is growing fastest in poor, undeveloped countries. In these countries, many people have a hard time caring for their children and providing basic necessities, such as food, water, shelter, and education.
- Populations are growing more slowly in industrialized nations. In China and some European countries, leaders worry that there are not enough children being born. These countries might not have enough workers in the future or people to take care of the elderly.
- In order to sustain population growth, we need to learn new ways to do things. Farmers are learning new ways to grow food while caring for the soil and conserving water.
- Scientists are working on developing clean, sustainable energy sources. This will be very important in the future so people have enough energy for their needs and increased energy use doesn’t do further damage to the environment.
- Government and business leaders are working together to find solutions for a variety of problems, such as overcrowding, lack of housing, transportation, and food insecurity.
- Population: the number of people
- Industrialized: using industry
- Sustainable: capable of continuing, doesn’t run out
Questions and Answers:
Question: What can I do to help?
Answer: Individuals and families can make a commitment to living more simply. More people can live on the earth if we all take less.
Watch a video about conservation:
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " World Climate Change and Population ." Easy Science for Kids, Mar 2021. Web. 01 Mar 2021. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/population/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2021). World Climate Change and Population. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/population/
We've recently added
Sponsored Links :