Rafflesia Arnoldii Facts for Kids Video
Rafflesia Arnoldii Facts
Rafflesia Arnoldii is a parasitic plant without any leaves, stems or root. It is the largest flower in the world. It is from the Rafflesiaceae family. It is a huge speckled five petaled flower with a diameter up to 106cm. It is the official state flower of Sabah in Malaysia and Surat Thani Province, Thailand. Rafflesia Arnoldii does not have chlorophyll as all other green plants have so it cannot go under photosynthesis. There are total 28 species of Rafflesia Arnoldii. It is a rare and short term bloomer. It takes about 9 months for the flower to bloom and it can only last for a week. It is very much temperamental.
Facts you didn’t know: –
- It is one among almost 30 types of blooming plants of Rafflesia family.
- Rafflesia flower emits an over powering scent of rotten meat when it blooms.
- This smell is usually created to appeal its main pollinator carrion fly.
- The flower is reddish with whitish marks on its five petals. It is generally about three feet around.
- Rafflesia Arnoldii is known as ‘queen of all parasitic organisms’.
- Every plant bears both female and male reproduction system.
- It can be found in the rainforests of Bengkulu, Indonesia, Malaysia and Sumatra Island.
- It can grow up to one metre in diameter.
- It is also known as corpse flower because it creates smell of rotten flesh.
- These flowers begin to curl up ad become a sticky mash.
- The flower has a big disk in the middle of the flower with diameter reaching to 0.3 meter.
- The seed of this plant is very small relative to the size of the flower.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts for Kids about Rafflesia Arnoldii ." Easy Science for Kids, May 2020. Web. 31 May 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/rafflesia-arnoldii-facts-for-kids-video/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Fun Facts for Kids about Rafflesia Arnoldii. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/rafflesia-arnoldii-facts-for-kids-video/
We've recently added
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
- How To Use Friction to Pick Up Bottle of Rice
- How To Make Popcorn Dance
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Fire Extinguisher
- Power of Bleach
- Comparing Surface Tension of Liquids with Pennies
- Ice Cream Chemistry
- Using Distillation to Purify Water
- Filter Water with Dirt
- Build a Balloon Barometer
- Build Your Very Own Seismograph
Sponsored Links :