Parts of a Flower for Kids Video
Parts of a flower
A flower is the reproductive part of a plant. They play an important role in making seeds. There are two types of flowers: – Perfect Flower and Imperfect Flower. A perfect flower has either all male parts or all female parts but not both in the same flower. An imperfect flower has both the male parts and female parts in a single flower. Flowers come in many different shapes, sizes and colours. However, most have a similar basic structure. A flower consists of many different parts.
Male Parts: –
- Stamen: – This is the male part of a flower. It is made up of filament and anther. This part produces pollen for the plant. The number of stamen is usually equal to the number of petals in the flower.
- Anther: – It is a part of the stamen. Anther produces and contains pollen. It usually sits on top of a long stalk that looks like a fine hair.
- Filament: – The fine hair like long stalk is called filament. Anther is placed on the top of filament in a flower.
Female Parts: –
- Pistil: – It is the female part of the flower. Pistil is consists of the stigma, style and ovary. One pistil is constructed of many structures that are rolled like leaf.
- Stigma: – This female part of the flower is the sticky bulb that you see in the centre of the flower. It receives the pollen grains. On stigma, those pollen grains can germinate.
- Style: – Another female part of the flower. Stigma is placed on the top of style.
- Ovary: – The part of the plant, usually at the bottom of the flower, that has the seeds inside and turns into a fruit that we eat. The ovary contains ovules.
- Ovules: – A part of the ovary that becomes seed.
Some other parts of a flower: –
- Petal: – The most colourful and bright part of the flower. They attract pollinators.
- Sepal: – Sepal in a flower looks like little green leaves that cover the outer part of a flower bud to protect the flower before it opens.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun facts about parts of a flower ." Easy Science for Kids, Apr 2020. Web. 03 Apr 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/parts-of-a-flower-for-kids-video/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Fun facts about parts of a flower. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/parts-of-a-flower-for-kids-video/
We've recently added
Sponsored Links :