Striped dolphins are among the most common dolphins. They live in groups of 25 to 100 dolphins in warm waters throughout the world. Striped dolphins are graceful swimmers. They breach the water, jumping as high as 20 feet, and rotate their tails while they’re in the air.
- Male striped dolphins weigh up to 350 pounds; females weigh 330 pounds.
- Male striped dolphins grow to 9 feet in length; females grow to 8 feet.
- These dolphins can live up to 58 years.
- In the U.S., they can be found along the coasts of New England, the Southeast United States, Pacific Islands, and the West Coast.
- They are harmed by hunting, disease, and water pollution. They are sometimes caught in fishing nets.
- Striped dolphins are named for the stripes that run from their nose to their flippers and down the sides of their bodies. They are gray or bluish gray.
- Striped dolphins eat fish, octopus and squid. They can dive up to 2,300 feet deep.
- They are very social animals. Their groups are organized by age, sex, and breeding status. Sometimes their groups can have hundreds or even thousands of dolphins.
- Female striped dolphins have a baby every 3 to 4 years. They take care of the baby for 12 to 18 months.
- In the 1990s, about 1,000 striped dolphins died in the Mediterranean Sea from a disease believed to be caused by water pollution.
- Breach: to jump out of the water
- Water pollution: when the water is contaminated by chemicals, oil, or other toxins
Questions and Answers
Question: Are striped dolphins endangered?
Answer: Striped dolphins are among the most common dolphins in the world. Currently, they’re not endangered.
Watch a video about the Striped dolphins.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Striped Dolphin Facts - Easy Science for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Nov 2020. Web. 24 Nov 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/striped-dolphin/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Striped Dolphin Facts - Easy Science for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/striped-dolphin/
We've recently added
- Buffalo – not just a sauce
- Buffalo Differences Worksheet
- Draw the Buffalo Worksheet
- Who invented it?
- FAMOUS AMERICAN INVENTORS (top ten and their inventions)
- Vaccines and Antibodies
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
- How To Use Friction to Pick Up Bottle of Rice
- How To Make Popcorn Dance
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Fire Extinguisher
- Power of Bleach
Sponsored Links :