Swordfish are highly elusive, migratory and one of the most fierce predatory fishes in the ocean. It is also one of the largest fishes. They are also known as the broadbill. They can be easily recognized by their long flat bill that almost looks like a sword which is razor sharp and is used to slice their prey in half.
Swordfish can swim at a speed of more than 50 miles per hour. The scientific name for swordfish is Xiphias Gladius. They belong to a category known as Billfish that also consists of sailfish and marlins.
Quick Facts: –
- Young swordfish have scales but adult ones do not. Over the time, they lose their teeth and scales.
- An average individual can reach up to 3 meters in length. The biggest Swordfish was reported to be 4.55 meters in length.
- They are commonly found throughout tropical and temperate waters located in the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian Oceans.
- Females grow larger in size as compared to the male counterparts of the same age.
- Besides their long bill and large size, they have a large crescent shaped tail fin, a larger front dorsal fin, a smaller dorsal fin and pectoral fins.
- They have a tissue called “brain heater” that helps them to keep their brain and eyes warm in cold water.
- Swordfish have a few predators including sharks, Orca whales and humans.
- They actually slash at their prey rather than stab at them with their sword shaped bill.
- They are not social creatures ad prefer to swim alone rather than swimming in schools (groups).
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts about Swordfish for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Dec 2018. Web. 10 Dec 2018. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/swordfish-facts/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2018). Fun Facts about Swordfish for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/swordfish-facts/
We've recently added
- Syria Worksheet and Quiz
- Samoa Worksheet and Quiz
- Neil Armstrong Worksheet and Quiz
- Mount Everest Worksheet and Quiz
- Henry Hudson Worksheet and Quiz
- Guatemala Worksheet and Quiz
- Cleopatra Worksheet and Quiz
- Carl Linnaeus Worksheet and Quiz
- Canada Worksheet and Quiz
- Turtle Worksheet and Quiz
- Saudi Arabia Worksheet and Quiz
- Poland Worksheet and Quiz
Sponsored Links :