The Age of Dinosaurs Begins Video for Kids
Facts about Dinosaurs
Dinosaurs were reptiles that lived on Earth from about 230 million years ago to about 65 million years ago. They were really big and some of them even had feathers. They lived on all seven continents. Their extinction was caused by a giant meteor that hit the earth. Most of the paleontologists believe in a theory stating that these huge reptiles evolved into birds. The first discovery of dinosaur remains in North America was made in 1854 by Ferdinand Vandiveer Hayden during his exploration of the upper Missouri River. These fossils belonged to Trachodon, Troodon, and Deinodon.
Quick Facts: –
- In 1842, the English naturalist Sir Richard Owen coined the term Dinosauria, derived from the Greek deinos, meaning “fearfully great,” and sauros, meaning “lizard.”
- The person who examines the evidence that extinct animals left behind is known as a paleontologist.
- Colorado’s nickname is Stegosaurus State because the first ever Stegosaurus skeleton was found near Morrison, Colorado.
- Dinosaurs are divided into two groups on the basis of the structure of their hipbones which are Saurischian means lizard hipped and Ornithischian means bird hipped.
- They did not roar but they may have mumbled with their mouths shut, as suggested by researchers.
- The dinosaur with the longest name is Micropachycephalosaurus that means ‘small thick-headed lizard’.
- The heaviest dinosaur was Argentinosaurus weighing 77 tonnes. It is also the longest one as well measuring more than 40 meters.
- The longest complete fossil is of Diplodocus measuring 89 feet. It was discovered in Wyoming U.S.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " All Fun Facts about Dinosaurs ." Easy Science for Kids, Dec 2019. Web. 13 Dec 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/the-age-of-dinosaurs-begins-video-for-kids/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). All Fun Facts about Dinosaurs. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/the-age-of-dinosaurs-begins-video-for-kids/
Sponsored Links :