Thomas Edison Biography
American inventor Thomas Edison was born on February 11, 1847 in Milan, Ohio. His father Samuel Edison was an exiled political activist from Canada and his mother Nancy Edison was an accomplished school teacher. He created the world’s first industrial research laboratory. He did not learn to talk until he was 4 years old.
The list of his contributing inventions includes the light bulb, the phonograph, the telegraph and motion picture camera. Although Alexander Graham Bell in said to have invented the telephone it was Edison’s microphone that made the telephone a workable technology.
Facts you didn’t know: –
- His complete name was Thomas Alva Edison.
- He held more than 1,000 patents for his inventions.
- Edison worked as a news butcher when he was only 12 years old.
- His first invention was an automatic telegraph repeater that was invented in 1864. His first patent was an electric vote recorder.
- For about one year, he worked in the Western Union Office and worked on his inventions.
- He married Mary Stilwell on December 25, 1871.
- In 1877, he invented the phonograph. It was a machine that could record a sound then play it back.
- He set up an electric light factory in East Newark in 1881.
- Edison’s wife Mary died on August 9, 1884. He remarried to Mina Miller on February 24, 1886.
- In 1885, Edison patented a method to transmit telegraphic aerial signals that worked over short distances.
- In 1887, he built a new, larger laboratory in West Orange, New Jersey.
- He also developed a fluoroscope but refused to patent it. It allowed doctors to use it freely.
- Thomas Edison Lapsed into a coma on October 14 1931 and he died on October 18 1931.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts about Thomas Edison for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, May 2020. Web. 25 May 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/thomas-edison-biography/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Fun Facts about Thomas Edison for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/thomas-edison-biography/
We've recently added
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Fire Extinguisher
- Power of Bleach
- Comparing Surface Tension of Liquids with Pennies
- Ice Cream Chemistry
- Using Distillation to Purify Water
- Filter Water with Dirt
- Build a Balloon Barometer
- Build Your Very Own Seismograph
- Explore the Wet-Sand Effect at Home
- How to Bake Ice Cream Without it Melting
- Make your Artwork Dance!
- Food Insecurity
Sponsored Links :