Tropical Rainforest Facts for Kids Video
Tropical Rainforest Facts
A rainforest can be defined as a forest that experiences a high level of rainfall. Approximately 5% of earth’s land surface is rainforests and more than half of the all plant and animal species call them home. Rainforests are so dense that on an average, a falling raindrop takes about 10 minutes to reach the floor. It is because of the thick canopies.
Quick Facts: –
- There are two types of rainforests, tropical and temperate. Tropical rainforests lie in the tropics and temperate rainforests lie in the temperate zones that are between the tropics and the polar circles.
- Tropical rainforests are commonly found in all over the world.
- A rainforest gets 250cm of rain a year.
- The largest tropical rainforest in the world is the Amazon rainforest. It is in South America.
- More than 25% of world’s natural medicines are found in rainforests.
- Rainforests are found close to the equator and can be found on all the continents except for Antarctica.
- A rainforest has total four layers: – emergent layer, canopy layer, understory layer and forest floor. Emergent layer is the topmost one.
- The average temperature of a tropical rainforest remains between 70 and 85°F.
- Rainforests produce a major part of oxygen in the air that we breathe.
- There are more than 2,500 different species of vine in rainforests.
- Insects are the major living creatures of rainforests.
- The world’s largest grass is bamboo. It is also found in tropical rainforest. A bamboo plant can grow up to 9 inches a day.
- The Amazon Basin contains 1/5 of our planet’s fresh water.
- According to a report of U.S. National Cancer Institute approximately 70% of the plants used in cancer treatment can be found only in rainforests.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts for Kids about Tropical Rainforests ." Easy Science for Kids, Jul 2020. Web. 10 Jul 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/tropical-rainforest-facts-for-kids-video/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Fun Facts for Kids about Tropical Rainforests. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/tropical-rainforest-facts-for-kids-video/
We've recently added
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
- How To Use Friction to Pick Up Bottle of Rice
- How To Make Popcorn Dance
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Fire Extinguisher
- Power of Bleach
- Comparing Surface Tension of Liquids with Pennies
- Ice Cream Chemistry
- Using Distillation to Purify Water
- Filter Water with Dirt
- Build a Balloon Barometer
- Build Your Very Own Seismograph
Sponsored Links :