What Causes Tsunamis Facts for Kids Video
Don’t miss out on this cool chosen and very easy to understand What Causes Tsunamis video:
What Causes Tsunamis
A tsunami can be defined as a series of large ocean waves of extremely long wavelength and period. Now the first question that comes to our mind is what causes tsunamis. A tsunami is most commonly caused by large sudden movements in the ocean. There are various reasons for these movements. Some of them are earthquakes, landslides on the sea floor, volcanic eruptions, some kind of meteoric impact in the ocean etc. According to seismologists earthquakes measuring greater than 7.0 on the Richter scale can cause a major tsunami.
Quick Facts: –
- Tsunamis travel at high speeds in the open ocean and produce large deadly waves near the shoreline.
- These waves can be formed when a sudden displacement of a large volume of water occurs.
- The term tsunami is composed of two Japanese words ‘tsu’ and ‘nami’ that respectively means ‘harbour’ and ‘wave’.
- The biggest tsunami ever was as Lituya Bay, Alaska on July 9, 1958.
- Most of the tsunami generating earthquakes occurs in areas called subduction zones. These zones are where pieces of the Earth’s crust create huge amounts of seismic energy.
- There is huge friction between the subducting plate and the overriding plate.
- Most of the people think that tsunamis are a single wave but they are not. They are wave trains that consist of multiple waves.
- These waves often look like walls of water and can dangerously attack the shoreline.
- They are big enough to wipe out entire coastal towns and can kill hundreds of thousand people caught in its path.
- A tsunami can be caused by any action that creates any kind of disturbance underwater.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Facts for Kids about What Causes Tsunamis ." Easy Science for Kids, May 2020. Web. 25 May 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/what-causes-tsunamis-facts-for-kids-video/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Facts for Kids about What Causes Tsunamis. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/what-causes-tsunamis-facts-for-kids-video/
We've recently added
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Fire Extinguisher
- Power of Bleach
- Comparing Surface Tension of Liquids with Pennies
- Ice Cream Chemistry
- Using Distillation to Purify Water
- Filter Water with Dirt
- Build a Balloon Barometer
- Build Your Very Own Seismograph
- Explore the Wet-Sand Effect at Home
- How to Bake Ice Cream Without it Melting
- Make your Artwork Dance!
- Food Insecurity
Sponsored Links :