Who Was Charles Darwin Video for Kids
Charles Darwin Biography
Charles Darwin was an English Naturalist born on February 12, 1809 in Shrewsbury, England. He is best known for developing a theory of evolution to explain biological change. This theory showed how Man evolved from lower life forms. With this theory, Darwin shocked religious Victorian Society by suggesting that animals and humans shared a common ancestry. He planned to study medicine at Edinburgh University as he came from a family of doctors. Eventually, he was offered a place on the HMS Beagle as a natural scientist in 1831. This voyage ended in 1836.
Quick Facts: –
- Darwin was married to his first cousin, Emma Wedgewood.
- He shared his birthday 12 February with Abraham Lincoln, 16th President of the United States.
- Charles and Emma had 10 children together, three of whom died as an infant.
- In 1839, Darwin was elected to the Royal Society and to the French academy of Sciences in 1878.
- He also studied finches. Each island had a different species of finch.
- He wrote many books about his voyage, Journal of Researches, Coral Reefs, Volcanic Islands and Geographical Observations on South America etc.
- His commemorative work The Origin of Species was published on November 24, 1859.
- He wrote his last book on earthworms which published in October 1881.
- He is not the person who coined the phrase ‘survival of the fittest’.
- Darwin appears on the back of the British 10 pound note along with an image of HMS Beagle, a magnifying lens and flora and fauna seen on his travels.
- When in Cambridge University, he formed the Gourmet Club for the purpose of dining on exotic animals.
- Charles Darwin passed away on April 19, 1882 at Down House, Kent.
- He was honoured by burial in Westminster Abbey next to fellow scientists John Herschel and Isaac Newton.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts about Charles Darwin for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Jan 2020. Web. 23 Jan 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/who-was-charles-darwin-video-for-kids/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Fun Facts about Charles Darwin for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/who-was-charles-darwin-video-for-kids/
Charles Darwin Worksheet Quiz / Question Paper
Sponsored Links :