Willis Tower is a building that dominates the skyline of Chicago. It was formerly known as Sears Tower. In July 2009, the tower was officially renamed. The structural height of this building is 1,450 feet. It comprises of 110 floors. This tower is actually composed of nine different square tube structures.
These vertical tubes were formed by welded steel frames. The tubes are uniform in width, measuring to 75 feet square, but diverse in height.At the time of its opening in 1973, it was the tallest building in the world. In 1996, it was surpassed by the Petronas Twin Towers in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Quick Facts: –
- In December 1997, this skyscraper was sold to the TrizecHahn Corp, a Canadian real estate firm.
- Willis Tower was designed by the architectural firm Skidmore, Owings & Merrill hired by Sears Roebuck and Company.
- The chief architect and engineer that worked on this building’s design were Bruce Graham and Fazlur Rahman Khan.
- The design of the building was inspired by a pack of cigarettes.
- The building is topped by two antennas. The western antenna brings the total height of the structure from 442 meters to 527 meters.
- The 103rd floor of the structure has an observation deck. It is also the highest observation deck in the United States.
- It is named as Skydeck and attracts approximately 1.3 million visitors every year on average.
- The largest tenant of the building is United Airlines and it occupies a total of twenty floors.
- Willis Tower provides more than 400,000 square metres of floor space for offices and other activities.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Facts for Kids about Willis Tower ." Easy Science for Kids, Feb 2019. Web. 24 Feb 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/willis-tower/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Facts for Kids about Willis Tower. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/willis-tower/
Sponsored Links :