Orville and Wilbur Wright, most commonly known as the Wright Brothers are credited with the invention of the ‘Flying Machine’. These American aviation pioneers were the first to accomplish manned and powered flight in a heavier than air machine.
They were mechanics and owned a bicycle shop. Wilbur Wright was the elder brother and he was born on April 16, 1867 in Millville, Indiana. Orville Wright was born on August 19, 1871 in Dayton, Ohio. Their father was a bishop in the United Brethren Church and encouraged his children to educate themselves in practical matters.
Quick Facts: –
- The Wright Brothers started their careers in printing. They started to publish a weekly newspaper, the West Side News and also a daily newspaper, The Evening Item.
- In the 1890’s the bicycling craze hit America and they opened a shop repairing bicycles.
- They designed their own bicycle with custom features like an oil-retaining wheel hub and coaster brakes.
- Neither of the two brothers attended formal engineering training.
- Their first ever flight took place on December 17, 1903 in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina.
- Orville Wright was the first of the brothers to fly because he won a toss with Wilbur Wright.
- They flew together just once when they shared a six-minute flight near Dayton with Orville piloting and Wilbur the passenger.
- Orville Wright was involved in the first fatal aviation accident which occurred On September 17, 1908.
- This accident resulted in the death of Thomas Selfridge, an Army Signal Corps Lieutenant.
- Wilbur Wright died in 1912 at the age of 45 with typhoid. Orville Wright in 1948 died at the age of 77 of a heart attack.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts about Wright Brothers ." Easy Science for Kids, Jun 2020. Web. 02 Jun 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/wright-brothers/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Fun Facts about Wright Brothers. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/wright-brothers/
We've recently added
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
- How To Use Friction to Pick Up Bottle of Rice
- How To Make Popcorn Dance
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Fire Extinguisher
- Power of Bleach
- Comparing Surface Tension of Liquids with Pennies
- Ice Cream Chemistry
- Using Distillation to Purify Water
- Filter Water with Dirt
- Build a Balloon Barometer
- Build Your Very Own Seismograph
Sponsored Links :