The word zoology has been derived from Greek words meaning ‘animal and ‘knowledge’. This field is also known as the study of animal kingdom. Animal kingdom includes humans, bears, goldfish, clams etc. There are more than one million known animal species in existence on the earth and every species posses some unique traits. There are two phyla of animal kingdom: – vertebrates (with backbones) and invertebrates (without backbones).
Quick facts: –
- An octopus has three hearts.
- Butterflies have taste receptors on their feet.
- Squirrels are not capable of vomiting or burping.
- A honeybee can flap its wings 200 times every second.
- Jellyfish use the same hole for eating ad pooping but it really does not matter for them as they do not have brain.
- Giant Squids have the largest eyes of all the living creatures.
- Siberian husky is a species of dogs that is known to have blue eyes.
- Elysia chlorotica is a sea slug. It is an animal but can also produce its own food by using sunlight in combination with chlorophyll.
- Generally, Mules are known to have fertility problems but there are rare cases where they give birth to healthy foals.
- The blue whale makes the loudest sound of all the living animals.
- There are more than 900 thousand different species of insects in the world.
- Total 57 species of snakes exist in Oklahoma and only seven of them are venomous.
- Polar bears have black skin.
- Warmer weather can cause more turtles to be born female as compared to male.