Bumblebees – Do They Make Honey?
Bumblebees seem scary because they’re so big, but they’re generally gentle and unaggressive. Leave them alone and they’ll leave you alone too. Bumblebees live all over the U.S. You might see them in meadows or orchards. They are large and fuzzy with bright bands of yellow, black or red.
Bumblebees make only a tiny bit of honey, but farmers like them because they pollinate crop so fruit grows. They don’t live in hives or paper nests, but they live in underground burrows, usually left over from mice or other small animals.
Fun Facts About Bumble Bees for Kids
- Bumblebees only live for one season before they die.
- Each bumblebee has a special job. The queen bumblebee lays eggs, while the workers bring food and build an underground nest of wax. Drones are male bumblebees that mate with the queen.
- At the end of the summer, worker bees sometimes kill the queen bee before dying themselves. New queen bees live alone over the winter and start a new colony in the spring.
- Bumblebees can sting more than once.
- Unaggressive: gentle, peaceful
- Orchard: farm where fruit trees grow
- Pollinate: spread pollen to plants so fruit grows
- Burrow: hole, den
Learn More All About Bumblebees
Watch this interesting video all about bumblebees:
A video documentary about a bumblebee’s life and purpose.
Question: Are bumblebees endangered?
Answer: Bumblebees seem to disappearing and scientists aren’t sure why.
Question: Do bumblebees communicate with each other?
Answer: Bumblebees use smell and body movement to communicate. After they’ve taken all the pollen from a flower, they leave a smell letting other bumblebees know that the flower is empty.
Enjoyed the Easy Science for Kids Website all about Bumblebees info? Take the FREE & fun all about Bumblebees quiz and download FREE Bumblebees worksheet for kids. For lengthy info click here.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Bumblebee Fun Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Jul 2018. Web. 16 Jul 2018. < http://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-bumblebees/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2018). Bumblebee Fun Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from http://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-bumblebees/
Sponsored Links :