Cape Verde is a string of 10 islands off the coast of West Africa. Most of the islands are covered with mountains, which makes growing food difficult. The islands are also prone to drought. The area is rich in marine life, including Loggernest Turtles and Humpback Whales.
Cape Verde was a colony of Portugal until 1975. It is an independent nation now with presidential elections and a stable political system. Cape Verde is emerging as one of the more developed, prosperous countries in Africa, in spite of water and food shortages.
Fun Facts About Cape Verde for Kids
- The capital city of Cape Verde is Praia.
- 500,000 people live in Cape Verde.
- The country has 1,557 square miles of land.
- Portuguese is the official language of Cape Verde.
- The life expectancy is 71 years.
Cape Verde Vocabulary
- String: group or line
- Drought: lack of water
- Marine life: water animals and plants
- Stable: predictable, calm
- Prosperous: having adequate resources
All About Cape Verde Video for Kids
Check out this cool video about Cape Verde for kids:
Cape Verde Q&A
Question: Who lives in Cape Verde?
Answer: Most of the residents of Cape Verde are of Portuguese and African descent. Some descended from African slaves. Many people have left Cape Verde because of the droughts and food shortages.
Map of Cape Verde
Here’s a map of the country of Cape Verde and all its cities and villages. Zoom in to get into street level or zoom out to see other countries around Cape Verde! You can see the terrain, but also see the roads, images of the buildings and even take a 3D tour through the streets of the cities of Cape Verde, as though you are actually there!
Enjoyed the Easy Geography for Kids all about Cape Verde info? Take the FREE & fun all about Cape Verde quiz and download FREE all about Cape Verde worksheet for kids. For lengthy info click here.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Cape Verde Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Aug 2020. Web. 08 Aug 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-cape-verde/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Cape Verde Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-cape-verde/
We've recently added
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
- How To Use Friction to Pick Up Bottle of Rice
- How To Make Popcorn Dance
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Fire Extinguisher
- Power of Bleach
- Comparing Surface Tension of Liquids with Pennies
- Ice Cream Chemistry
- Using Distillation to Purify Water
- Filter Water with Dirt
- Build a Balloon Barometer
- Build Your Very Own Seismograph
Sponsored Links :