Chameleons – Can They Change Their Colors?
You’ve probably heard that a chameleon can change its color to match its surroundings, but this isn’t really true. Some chameleons change colors to hide themselves; others change colors based on how they’re feeling. Chameleons have some of the most brilliant colors of any reptiles. They can have spots of orange, yellow, red, blue or green. Chameleons also have bumpy scales and fringe on their bodies.
Chameleons live in Africa, Asia and southern Europe. The largest ones grow to almost 2 feet long. The smallest one is smaller than your thumb!
Fun Facts about Chameleons for Kids
- Chameleons have eyes that can swivel. They can look at two different things at once.
- The panther chameleon changes its color to yellow or red when it’s angry.
- When a chameleon is cold, it will become darker in color. Dark colors attract heat better than light ones.
- Chameleons have a lightning-fast tongue. It flashes out to 26 times the length of its body to snatch insects. The tongue moves so fast that it is a blur.
- Sick chameleons look pale in color.
- Surroundings: environment
- Brilliant: bright
- Swivel: turn all the way around
- Attract: draw close
- Snatch: grab
Learn More All About Chameleons
Watch this fun story about a chameleon:
A children’s story video about a naughty chameleon.
Question: How do chameleons give birth?
Answer: Most chameleons lay eggs in a hole in the ground. Some incubate the eggs in their bodies and have live babies.
Question: Do chameleons make good pets?
Answer: Chameleons make fun and interesting pets. They need a special aquarium with a heating pad to keep them warm.
Enjoyed the Easy Science for Kids Website all about Chameleons info? Take the FREE & fun Chameleons quiz and download FREE Chameleons worksheet for kids. For lengthy info click here.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Chameleon Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Apr 2019. Web. 24 Apr 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-chameleons/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Chameleon Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-chameleons/
Sponsored Links :