When you think about computers, you probably think about your home computer, your laptop or even a notepad. Your home computers can do everything from send a letter to plan your next vacation to Disney World. You can download music and watch movies!
The first computers weren’t so fancy. In fact, one of the first computer was an abacus. Invented in Babylon in 500 B.C., the abacus was made of string and beads. Its only purpose was to count and keep track of money and other things. In the 1600s, two inventors made calculators that ran with gears and wheels.
In 1833, Charles Babbage invented all the parts a modern computer uses, but it wasn’t until 120 years later that the first modern computers were invented. These first computers were huge and took up a whole room. The beginnings of computers as we know them happened in 1980 – only 30 years ago.
Fun Facts about Computers for Kids
- A computer is a machine that takes input from the user and gives output. So, you give the computer a command and it follows it to produce a result.
- Computers have a microprocessor that can make calculations instantly. Lots of things have microprocessors, such as your car, your washing machine, your dishwasher and even your television.
- Computers have memory or RAM, which stores items on the computer when they’re not in use. The processor stores everything your computer needs to run.
- As computers run, they get hot. Computers have fans to keep them cool.
- Abacus: counting device made from beads and string
- Modern: current, today
- Command: direction
- Calculations: mathematical equation
Learn More All About Computers
Watch this awesome video about computers of the future:
A video presentation of what computers will look like in the year 2020.
Question: What is the difference between software and hardware?
Answer: Hardware is the physical part of your computer, such as the mouse, the processor, the monitor and the keyboard. Software is the programs, directions and codes your computer needs to do all the cool things it does.