All About Machines That Make Life Easier
Not very long ago, people had to work hard to take care of basic tasks. Washing a few clothes could take several hours or even days. People had to heat water on a stove and then scrub clothes on a washboard. The clothing was then sent through a ringer to remove excess water and then hung on a line to dry.
Cooking was also a big job. First, people had to cut wood to make a fire in a stove. They had to chop any vegetables or ingredients by hand. They had to heat up water on the stove. Finally, cooking the food took a long time. Today, most people in the U.S. have machines to make life easier. With just a push of a button, we can clean our homes, cook our food and wash our clothes.
Fun Facts about Machines that Make Life Easier for Kids
- Washing machines have a big drum that holds the clothes. A motor turns the drum slowly to wash the clothes and fast to remove the water. A heating element even warms the water to get clothes cleaner.
- Blenders and food processors chop, grate or puree food in seconds.
- Before toasters were invented, people toasted bread over a fire.
- Before electricity, people heated heavy irons over a fire to iron clothing.
- Microwaves vibrate the liquid in food to heat it in just a few seconds or minutes.
- Calculators let you add, subtract, multiply or divide numbers in seconds.
- Your computer can do millions of jobs for you – write letters, make projects, research information, pay bills, buy clothing and books or do your taxes.
- Lawn mowers cut lawn quickly. Chain saws cut wood.
- Basic: simple, everyday
- Washboard: a board with metal rungs to clean clothes
- Excess: extra
- Puree: turn a solid food to a liquid. A smoothie is an example of a pureed food.
- Research: study and learn
Learn More All About Machines That Make Life Easier
Have a look at this video about machines used for construction:
A video about construction equipment that make life easier.
Question: When were modern appliances first invented?
Answer: Most of the appliances we use were invented in the 1900s, after electricity was invented.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Facts About Machines for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Sep 2020. Web. 29 Sep 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-machines-that-make-life-easier/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Facts About Machines for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-machines-that-make-life-easier/
We've recently added
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
- How To Use Friction to Pick Up Bottle of Rice
- How To Make Popcorn Dance
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Fire Extinguisher
- Power of Bleach
- Comparing Surface Tension of Liquids with Pennies
- Ice Cream Chemistry
- Using Distillation to Purify Water
- Filter Water with Dirt
- Build a Balloon Barometer
- Build Your Very Own Seismograph
Sponsored Links :