Forget leprechauns. The Irish have giants, as well. Stretching across the Irish Sea sits over 40,000 black basalt columns. Some of the columns are more than 35 feet tall. The black columns formed 60 million years ago when volcanic lava cooled quickly in the cold ocean.
The columns look a bit like a giant rock path or bridge across the water. Legend has it that Fionn MacCumhaill, a mythical warrior, formed the columns with his bare hands, so his armies could cross the sea to fight the Scottish.
Fun Facts about Giant’s Causeway for Kids
- The columns are hexagonal and lock together.
- One version of the story says that Fionn was a giant, challenged by a Scottish giant, Benandonner to a fight. Fionn’s wife disguised him as a baby in a cradle. When Benandonner saw the big baby, he thought the baby’s father must be huge to have such a big baby. He ran away.
- Another version of the story says that Fionn was not a giant, but a hero with mythical strength.
- The columns start at the cliffs and disappear into the sea.
Giant’s Causeway Vocabulary
- Leprechaun: a kind of Irish fairy
- Column: pillar
- Warrior: soldier
- Mythical: unbelievable or the stuff of stories
- Disguise: change appearance, hide
Learn More All About the Giant’s Causeway in Ireland
Watch this video about the Giant’s Causeway:
A video documentary all about the Giant’s Causeway.
Giant’s Causeway Q&A
Question: Can you visit Giant’s Causeway?
Answer: Giant’s Causeway is a World Heritage site, visited by thousands of tourists every year.
Enjoyed the Easy Science for Kids Website all about Giant’s Causeway info? Take the FREE & fun Giant’s Causeway quiz and download FREE Giant’s Causeway worksheet for kids. For lengthy info click here.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Giant's Causeway Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Jan 2021. Web. 18 Jan 2021. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-giants-causeway/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2021). Giant's Causeway Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-giants-causeway/
We've recently added
- Fingerprint Identification Experiment
- Forensic Science
- Stem Cells
- Stem Cell Worksheet
- Buffalo – Part of the Bovidae Family
- Buffalo Differences Worksheet
- Draw the Buffalo Worksheet
- Who invented it?
- Famous American Inventors (Top ten and their Inventions)
- Vaccines and Antibodies
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
Sponsored Links :