Gila Monster – The Largest Lizards in USA
The Gila monster isn’t really a monster, but a very big lizard. In fact, the Gila monster is the largest lizard in the U.S. Unless you live in Arizona, New Mexico, southern Utah or southeastern California, you’ll probably never see a Gila monster. These bad boys live only in the desert. They love the heat!
Gila monsters can grow 2 feet long, but they only weigh about 5 pounds. They have a thick tail that stores fat. Gila monsters are one of the few lizards that have a venomous bite. They don’t inject venom like a snake. Instead, they chomp down and chew on their victim. The poison runs down the teeth and into the bite.
Fun Facts about the Gila Monster for Kids
- Gila monsters spend most of their lives under the ground.
- Gila monsters’ favorite meal is eggs. They also eat young rabbits, mice or rats.
- Their bite is painful, but it isn’t particularly dangerous to humans. There’s been only one death from a Gila monster bite since 1930.
- Gila monsters are dark grey and covered with orange, pink, red or yellow spots.
- Gila monsters can live 20 to 30 years.
Gila Monster Vocabulary
- Venomous: poisonous
- Favorite: most preferred
- Painful: hurts a lot
- Chomp: a strong bite
Learn More All About Gila Monster
Watch this interesting documentary video about the gila monster:
A documentary of the wild life of the Gila Monster.
Gila Monster Q&A
Question: Are Gila monsters endangered?
Answer: Gila monsters aren’t endangered, but they are protected.
Enjoyed the Easy Science for Kids Website all about Gila Monster info? Take the FREE & fun all about Gila Monster quiz and download FREE Gila Monster worksheet for kids. For lengthy info click here.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Gila Monster Fun Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Aug 2020. Web. 08 Aug 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-gila-monster/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Gila Monster Fun Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-gila-monster/
We've recently added
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
- How To Use Friction to Pick Up Bottle of Rice
- How To Make Popcorn Dance
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Fire Extinguisher
- Power of Bleach
- Comparing Surface Tension of Liquids with Pennies
- Ice Cream Chemistry
- Using Distillation to Purify Water
- Filter Water with Dirt
- Build a Balloon Barometer
- Build Your Very Own Seismograph
Sponsored Links :