rodents are smart and agile. They are usually about 10 to 14 inches long, including their tails.
Some people like rats and keep them as pets. Pet rats are smart and social. They can learn tricks and will come when called. Many people do not like rats because they chew up wires, get into food and can carry diseases.
Fun Facts about Rats for Kids
- Rats eat almost anything. They like meat, grain, seeds, fruit and vegetables.
- Norway rats are big and aggressive. They fight with each other and will even attack humans.
- Rats have sharp teeth that constantly grow. They chew on wood to keep the teeth short and sharp.
- Pet rats live about 3 years.
- Rats can have up to 20 babies at once.
- Rats have a good memory and sense of taste. They can recognize and remember the taste of rat poison.
- Cinderblock: Hard white or gray blocks used in buildings
- Social: Friendly, likes others
- Agile: Flexible, quick
- Aggressive: Fierce
- Recognize: Understand or know
Learn More All About Rats
Have a look at this nice video all about rats as pets:
A 2 minute video about common misconceptions of pet rats.
Question: Are rats useful?
Answer: Rats have been used to develop medical cures.
Question: What is the largest rat?
Answer: The Gambian Pouch Rat, which can weigh up to 8 pounds, or the size of a small dog.