Since Guinea-Bissau won its independence from Portugal in 1974, it has experienced almost non-stop political instability. Presidential leaders are frequently ousted – or even assassinated and a new leader steps in. Because of this instability, the country is one of the poorest countries in the world.
Guinea-Bissau is in Northwestern Africa. Its borders include the Atlantic Ocean, Guinea and Senegal. Many people here are farmers, living and working on small family farms. The main crops include cashew nuts and fruit.
Fun Facts About Guinea-Bissau for Kids
- The capital city of Guinea-Bissau is Bissau.
- The country’s name used to be Portuguese Guinea when it became part of the Portugese colony in the 19th century.
- Bissau was added to the country’s name to prevent confusion with Guinea, which means officially, the country is now called Guinea-Bissau.
- 1.5 million people live in Guinea-Bissau.
- The country has 13,946 square miles of land.
- Portuguese is the official language in Guinea-Bissau.
- Other languages used in Guinea-Bissau are Creole, Balanta, Fula and Manjaca.
- Most people belong to a native faith. Islam and Christianity are also common religions.
- The life expectancy in Guinea-Bissau is 46 years.
- 39 percent of adults can read.
- Political instability: wars and uprisings, resulting in an unpredictable government
- Assassinate: kill
- Oust: remove from power, usually by force
All About Guinea-Bissau Video for Kids
Here’s the best kids video you can watch right now to learn more all about Guinea-Bissau:
Question: What other products are exported from Guinea-Bissau?
Answer: Guinea-Bissau exports shrimp and fish, as well as lumber.
Map of Guinea-Bissau
Here’s a map of the country of Guinea-Bissau and all its cities and villages. Zoom in to get into street level or zoom out to see other countries around Guinea-Bissau! You can see the terrain, but also see the roads, images of the buildings and even take a 3D tour through the streets of the cities of Guinea-Bissau, as though you are actually there!
Enjoyed the Earth Science for Kids all about Guinea-Bissau info? Take the FREE & fun all about Guinea-Bissau quiz and download FREE all about Guinea-Bissau worksheet for kids. For lengthy info click here.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Guinea-Bissau Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Dec 2018. Web. 10 Dec 2018. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-guinea-bissau/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2018). Guinea-Bissau Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-guinea-bissau/
We've recently added
- Syria Worksheet and Quiz
- Samoa Worksheet and Quiz
- Neil Armstrong Worksheet and Quiz
- Mount Everest Worksheet and Quiz
- Henry Hudson Worksheet and Quiz
- Guatemala Worksheet and Quiz
- Cleopatra Worksheet and Quiz
- Carl Linnaeus Worksheet and Quiz
- Canada Worksheet and Quiz
- Turtle Worksheet and Quiz
- Saudi Arabia Worksheet and Quiz
- Poland Worksheet and Quiz
Sponsored Links :