Guinea gained its independence from France in 1958. Since then, the country has experienced many wars and political uprisings. The lack of a stable government has kept the country in poverty even though it is rich in natural resources, including gold and diamonds.
Fun Facts About Guinea for Kids
- The capital city of Guinea is Conakry.
- Conakry is also the largest city in Guinea.
- 10.2 million people live in Guinea.
- The country has 94,926 square miles of land.
- The official language of Guinea is French. Other languages used in Guinea are Fula, Maninka and Susu.
- Guinea is also called Guinea-Conakry to distinguish it from Guinea-Bissau, which is also in Africa.
- The life expectancy is 56 years.
- 27 percent of adults can read.
- Highland: high areas of land; not mountains
- Savanna: grassland
- Uprising: a group rises up against the ruling class
- Poverty: being poor; without resources
- Distinguish: to tell one thing apart from another
All About Guinea Video for Kids
This is the best video we found for kids to learn all about Guinea:
Question: What is the country’s political system like?
Answer: After gaining independence from France, Guinea turned to the Soviet Union for support. The first president introduced a socialist government. Thousands of people were killed or tortured during this time. Today, the country is trying to become a democracy, but the process is not easy.
Map of Guinea
Here’s a map of the country of Guinea and all its cities and villages. Zoom in to get into street level or zoom out to see other countries around Guinea! You can see the terrain, but also see the roads, images of the buildings and even take a 3D tour through the streets of the cities of Guinea, as though you are actually there!
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Guinea Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Jan 2021. Web. 27 Jan 2021. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-guinea/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2021). Guinea Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-guinea/
We've recently added
- Microbiology Worksheet
- All About Microbiology
- Fingerprint Identification Experiment
- Forensic Science
- Stem Cells
- Stem Cell Worksheet
- Buffalo – Part of the Bovidae Family
- Buffalo Differences Worksheet
- Draw the Buffalo Worksheet
- Who invented it?
- Famous American Inventors (Top ten and their Inventions)
- Vaccines and Antibodies
Sponsored Links :